8.23.2026

The Police - Walking On The Moon


There's currently a thunderstorm happening and this song reminds me of something.

For most of my childhood, I lived at a house on Franklin street. We moved out when I was 14, I think. The house was an industrial area, most resident houses were torn down (including ours). I would say that it was pretty secluded. Our street was a block away from Hastings so barely any traffic or people. There is a building across the street from our house. It was a small two storey building. I think it's currently a recording studio now (website says 4 years+). But back when I was a kid, the building looked popular for musicians. It may have been a recording studio then, but I don't know. 

But yeah, I guess a lot of musicians hung out there because you would always see people in their 20s to 30s there. My sister said she saw someone ride one of those vintage bicycles like what the hell? This happened in like the 2000s, this had to be the most millenial thing. And me and sister being children and upon seeing shit like this happening across the street, we liked to tease them for entertainment. We would yell at them and such. We called them "hipsters across the street" lol.

In a way, I did admire them. Even though I thought they were kind of strange, I wanted to be like them. You could see the colourful lights coming from the second storey windows and hear them play music. It felt like a place where I wanted to be, but I was too young, of course.

Anyway, right now there is a thunderstorm and it's raining a lot, the street is illuminated by the streetlights, and the street is empty. It's reminding me of this time when I went on the front porch one night to listen to the music. It was a night just like this. I remember this particular song playing. I don't remember if this song was just playing on a speaker or the band was covering it. But the song really fit the mood and the night felt so long and I must have stayed outside so long listening to the music across the street.